> Holistic Treatments
What is PRP - Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment?
PRP - Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment
What is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)?
Platelet Rich Plasma is a treatment, which relieves acute and chronic pain caused by disease or injuries. Injections are administered into a joint to quickly relieve pain and restore health to the affected area. It is frequently used to treat professional athletes' sports injuries.
What Conditions May Be Helped With PRP Treatment?
PRP can help the healing process of the following conditions:
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Whiplash injuries
- Tennis elbow
- Pain involving any joint
- Temporalmandibular Joint Disease (TMJ)
- Residual pain from fractures, sprains and sports injuries
- Scoliosis pain
- Sports injuries
- Many conditions which involve joints, ligaments, tendons, muscles, cartilage and soft tissues
- PRP Is being investigated for potential use in hard-to-heal wounds
How Does Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment Work?
Platelet Rich Plasma injections provide many times the normal amount of platelets to the area surrounding the injections. Platelets are a type of blood cell, which contains substances called growth factors. The growth factors speed healing and enhance your body's capacity to heal.
How is PRP Given?
- Your blood is collected and spun in a machine called a centrifuge. The centrifuge separates your platelets from your red and white blood cells.
- You are given a topical and local anesthetic at the site where you will receive your injection.
- While visualizing the affected area with special kind of advanced ultrasound imaging, called musculoskeletal ultrasound, a needle or catheter is guided into the area that needs treatment.
- The Platelet Rich Plasma is delivered to the area. The entire injection procedure is complete in about twenty minutes.
- PRP injections are usually given 3-4 times, about a month apart.
What Else Do I Need To Know About Platelet Rich Plasma?
PRP is a safe non-surgical technique, which uses your body's innate healing abilities to relieve pain and restore wellness. Unlike steroids or other medications that only provide temporary relief, Platelet Rich Plasma promotes blood flow and creation of new healthy tissue.
PRP has been used for almost fifteen years. In addition to relieving pain, PRP increases strength and endurance. Surgeons sometimes use PRP in conjunction with surgery to shorten healing times. Studies indicate that PRP treatment is superior to steroid injections for elbow pain and injections of gels given to relieve knee pain.
Platelet Rich Plasma is safe, rapidly effective and promotes real healing, not just temporary masking of symptoms. It is an excellent technique that can benefit many people.
To find out more about Platelet Rich Plasma and if this therapy is right for you, please contact and consult with a local licensed doctor who specializes in this therapy.
To find local licensed professionals who provide PRP treatment, Click Here